Demographics

Geography
Location: North Africa, bordering the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea, southern border with Western Sahara, eastern border with Algeria
Area: 172,413 sq. mi. (slightly larger than California)
Cities: Rabat (capital), Casablanca, Marrakech, Fes, Meknes, Tangier
Terrain: Coastal plains, mountains, and desert
Climate: Mediterranean to more extreme desert climate in the interior and south

Map of Morocco

Map of Morocco

People
Population: 34,859,364 (July 2009 est.)
Annual population growth rate: 1.479%
Birth rate: 20.96 births/1,000 population
Death rate: 5.45 deaths/1,000 population
Ethnic groups: Arab-Berber 99.1%, other 0.7%, Jewish 0.2%
Religions: Muslim 98.7%, Christian 1.1%, Jewish 0.2%.
Languages: Arabic (official), several Berber dialects; French functions as the language of business, government, and diplomacy
Education: Years compulsory 9
Literacy (definition–age 15 and over, can read and write)–total population 52.3%; male 65.7%; female 39.6% (2004 census)
Work force: 11.62 million (2010 est.)
Unemployment rate: 8.6% (July 2010 est.)

Unemployment rate for youth ages 15-24: 21.9%

Breakdown of religious groups in Morocco. 98.7% of Moroccans are Muslim. Christians and Jews make up the remaining 1.3% of the population.

Ethnically 99.1% of Moroccans are of Arab-Berber descent. Over the centuries there has been considerable mixing and intermarriage between Arabs and Berbers; however, there is currently a movement for increased recognition of Berber culture and language in Morocco.

Health
Infant mortality rate: 36.88/1,000
Life expectancy at birth: 71.8 yrs. total population; 69.42 yrs. male; 74.3 yrs. female (2009 est.), World Ranking: 78
Healthcare expenditures: 5.5% of GDP, World Ranking: 128
Physicians density: 0.62 physicians/1,000 population, World Ranking: 117
Hospital bed density:1.1 beds/1,000 population, World Ranking: 142

Economy
GDP: $91.11 billion (2009)
GDP growth rate: 4.9% (2009)
Per capita GDP: $4,552
Natural resources: Phosphates, fish, manganese, lead, silver, and copper
Agriculture: Products–barley, citrus fruits, vegetables, olives, wine, livestock, and fishing
Industry: Types–phosphate mining, manufacturing and handicrafts, construction and public works, energy
Monetary unit: Moroccan dirham
Exchange rate per U.S. dollar: 8.5 (Feb. 2012)

Trade
Major Export Partners: France 24.5%, Spain 21.2%, India 5.3%, Italy 4.6%, United States 3.3%, and United Kingdom 3% (2009)
Major Import Partners: France 15.7%, Spain 12.1%, China 7.8%, United States 7.1%, Italy 6.5%, and Saudi Arabia 4.4% (2009)
Budget: Revenues–$25.9 billion; expenditures–$28 billion (2009)
Debt, public external: $19.36 billion (2009)

Source: US State Department

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s